Monday, September 17, 2007

Exploring Marxism


What I got from the reading on Marxism was one’s social class inevitably affects the lens through which the individual perceives the world. Therefore, any creation designed by an individual will reflect their class status. This differs from what was learned concerning liberal humanism because when one does a close reading of a text as a liberal humanist, they are focusing on the form and technique of the text and that is it. They do not analyze a text by ways of social status influence like the Marxist thinker does.

What I thought was most interesting was Marx’s biography at the beginning of the reading, and that he had a poor upbringing in terms of social class. His personal experience most likely played an important role in the development of his philosophies. I wish to investigate this further.

What was also interesting was the material on Leninist Marxism. I read that section as yet another example of how a government oppresses its people – taking Marxism and limiting its potential and value. Creativity and expression is a right of every individual in my opinion, and Leninist Marxism is a tainted development of Marxism.

This week’s reading has influenced the way in which I have been reading material for my other classes. For example, in my Modern American Writers class, we recently finished the book, The Rise of Silas Lapham. To briefly summarize this novel, it is about the Lapham family who makes a fortune from selling mineral paint and moves from a small town in Vermont to Beacon Street in Boston.

This story is set in the late 1800’s, a time period when there was a struggle and hostility between the “old rich” and the “new rich.” The Laphams would be an example of new rich because they started off poor, yet made millions selling paint and now can live in high class Boston. They desperately want to fit in, especially the father, who slowly realizes throughout the book that money does not immediately able one to fit in. Even though he is as rich as his neighbors, he does not have the social mannerisms and experience of the old rich, therefore acts like a fool when trying to be accepted by his peers. The book is an analysis of social class through the development of Mr. Silas Lapham’s character throughout the story – so a Marxist would say.

Although at times it can give me a slight headache, I am truly enjoying the reading material for this class. There is something very appealing about learning how one chooses to analyze a text. Although at times I feel as though I am critiquing the criticism of critics, which seems pointless, I am beginning to see why critical theory is important and useful. I am excited to see what the future brings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And how is your upbringing and social class influencing your understanding of the material in this class, I wonder?